Friday, May 29, 2009

"I Hate Kobe"

You come to a realization that things may not be exactly how they were prior to the accident. Yet, you begin to see how each day Mak's progress gets more rewarding for him and those who walk by his side. It is fascinating to see how his mind is slowly piecing things together; watching and hearing how his brain connects the past, present and future together as one.

Today, Mak talked about how he thinks he might go back to grad school for history; how he needs to get a job soon, because he can't just sit around. How he is recognizing and acknowledging people around him. Even simple task like going to the bathroom, eating a burrito or adjusting his bedsheets is become an easy task.

Even though there are pieces in his mind that don't completely make sense, but the beauty is that he is starting to acknowledge it and corrects it as he sees it. Today he apologized for not being clear enough that he wanted grapes, not cakes. Knowing that he is able to hear what he is saying and recognizes that improvements are need, is great to see. Like they say, knowing is half the battle.

So even though there are many steps to be taken ahead, there are many defined footprints left behind that reassure us, that our Mak is determined to make a strong come back. We are not giving up and most importantly nor is he.

One a lighter note, he isn't routing for the Lakers to say the least.

4 comments:

  1. Would it be possible to come see Mak today (Saturday)? A group of Sigma Chi's will be coming out to Sacramento and wanted stop by and see our boy if at all possible. Thank you!




    -JCHU

    ReplyDelete
  2. ooohhh i wish i could be there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey whoever's going to see Mak today, be sure to tell him Chelsea won the FA Cup final today. Goals from Drogba and Lampard for a 2-1 win over Everton. I'm sure that will boost his spirits! Wish I could be there. Me and Matt will visit very soon once he's in Vallejo.

    -Lefebvre

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for all the updates.

    Mak--Just wanted to let you know that although it's been ages since I've seen you, I'm thinking of you. I'm so relieved that you're doing better and on the road to recovery.

    You might have heard through the grapevine that I've been dealing with cancer (found out this past December), so I know what a drag hospitals/docs/health stuff can be... and sometimes, even worse, the sitting and waiting. A lot of times I really feel like my situation has taken so much from me, from my former life, interrupting my senior year, right when life was about to take off for me.

    But I'm so encouraged by your attitude, and the attitude of all your supporting friends and family, to look forward and focus on getting better.

    Keep on fighting!

    - Jessica

    ReplyDelete